top of page
As you are aware, Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India. The 9th January has a special significance as on this day in 1915, Mahatma Gandhi returned to India after his ‘pravas’ (exile) from South Africa and thereafter he led the Indian freedom struggle.
2. PBD conventions provide a platform to the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and people of the land of their ancestors for mutually beneficial activities. These conventions are also useful in networking among the overseas Indian community and enable them to share their experiences in various fields.
3. The 15th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) Convention 2019 is being organized by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India at Varanasi, in association with the State Government of Uttar Pradesh from 21-23 January 2019. Around 5000 persons of Indian origin and Non Resident Indians are expected to attend the convention which will be inaugurated on 22 January 2018 by Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the presence of Prime Minister of Mauritius, H.E. Pravind Jugnauth.
4. The PBD 2019 participants would also get an opportunity to visit Prayagraj on 24 January 2019 for holy bathing at Sangam during the Kumbh Mela and subsequently witness the 70th Republic Day Parade in New Delhi on 26 January 2019. A copy of tentative programme is attached.
5. The PBD 2019 website is live and registration for participation is open. The interested participants can register their participation on the website under the following link:
6. Embassy of India in Berne would request you to disseminate this information to all active members of your association and ensure participation and registration of at least two prominent members for the upcoming PBD 2019. An early response would be highly appreciated.
Second Secretary (Cons & Cul)
Embassy of India
bottom of page